Yes, it is definitely a nauseous world for Mathew. He was feeling so fine by Thursday that we ended the nausea medication. He even tried a tiny taste of all that Halloween Candy! (Chocolate doesn’t taste as good as twists) This cycle he even bypassed the Dole Strawberry and Kiwi juice in favour of water and lots of it.

Our favourite girl in the world came home for a speedy visit during Mathew’s good time. I picked her up on Thursday evening and drove her back Saturday afternoon. (She noticed the front of vehicle smelled like burning when we pulled in to the garage on Thursday night and upon further investigation, John took my car in on Friday. The brake on the one of the front wheels was locking up. Oops. The return trip on Saturday used half the gas that Thursday’s trip took!!! The other symptom most noticeable was the noise the car made on different roads. One minute quiet, the next minute the noise volume in the car suddenly ramped up.) She needed to visit her brother and to chill with her family for a day or so. We watched Halloween movies, ate candy and got tummy aches ~ well-deserved ones, I might add! ~ and just hung out. Mathew was happy to see her and had a gift for her; a Perry the Platypus winter hat! On Saturday Kristen and I shopped amongst all that Christmas glitter and oohed and aaawed over the sparkle. She shares my love for all things bright and glittery so we had some fun. After I dropped her off in Fredericton I got an ominous text from John about Mathew puking…

It took from Saturday afternoon until midnight on Sunday to get his nausea under control. At 3 am (as in 8 hours ago) he was awake and feeling great. He was in such a good mood that I finally removed myself from his chair and dragged my sorry, tired butt back to my own room for some sleep. This morning he is queasy again so I’m keeping him on a strict diet of nausea medication.

Mathew had a patch behind his ear in the hospital; each patch lasted 3 days and it was only after he got the first one that there was any significant change in his nausea. Try as I might I didn’t catch the name of the patch but will be asking about it when he goes in for his out-patient chemo on Wednesday (tentatively scheduled). He won’t eat when he’s nauseous so if it weren’t for Ensure he wouldn’t be taking in any calories at all. (The evil part of me wants to call up that Sussex day surgery and (voice dripping with ice) inform them that when this over Mathew will most certainly be able to finally get his wisdom teeth pulled there having met their weight-loss goal for him). Of course I would say it with such anger and hatred that I would be forever banned from that place so I will have to find some peaceful way to work through that issue when it comes to it.)

For now we are using Zofran, Domperidone and Gravol to manage the nausea. Mathew also takes his morphine as his legs are hurting him, although I believe that is due to the Neupogen and not his tumour.

We are leaving for his blood work shortly and I hope those neupogen shots have worked their magic and upped his white blood cell counts. His neutrophils were 0 on Thursday and the Leukocyctes were 0.3 ~ below the 1.0 cutoff for chemo. As much as I dislike the chemo and its effect on Mathew, it is how we are fighting against Ewing’s Sarcoma.

I wonder why some people sail through this chemo with few side effects. Is anyone studying that? What makes some individuals so nauseous they can’t eat or drink (yes I know it is a vicious cycle that feeds itself) while others need minimal medication to keep their nausea at manageable levels?


On another subject, today is Remembrance Day. Please take some time to remember why our country is free and how the price of freedom was paid. If it seems too far away for you to embrace it, I encourage you to visit some of our cemeteries overseas or visit places where our soldiers fought. The price of freedom continues today with our current soldiers who deploy where they are told to go and carry out the missions they are assigned. You say you don’t feel sympathy for today’s soldier who knew what they were getting into when they signed up?

I beg to differ. It is one thing to think you know what you are getting in to. It is another to live it; to breathe it, smell it and not be able to step away from it. Talking about “the war in Afghanistan” and doing a tour are very different ideals. One is talk and imagination; the other is the day-to-day inescapable existence in a foreign culture where someone wants to kill you and is trying to do just that. Getting injured, seeing people get blown up, watching friends die alters a life forever and makes it impossible to return to a “normal” life when they return to our society. Dismemberment, injury, PTSD; these are just a few of the disabilities our soldiers return with… their penalty for doing what their government ordered them to do, for your freedom. They aren’t allowed to release from active service until their tour is over otherwise you would be shocked at how many decide not to go overseas when reality sets in and that overseas tour is about to start.

If these men and women did not pay our price for freedom where would YOU be today?